Posted on March 13, 2020
Bringing people together is at the very heart of what NightShift does. Our DNA is in outreach, 365 nights a year, to vulnerable people on the streets in Surrey, and twice a week in the City of Langley. Our friends in need depend on NightShift for a hot meal, basic clothing, nursing, counselling and perhaps most importantly, a sense of kindness and community.
Our NightShift family of volunteers, donors, and street friends are dear to our hearts. My team and I are paying close attention to the developments around the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), which has now been called a global pandemic by the World Health Organization.
We have made the decision to continue NightShift’s outreach services to people in need on the street, but we do so cautiously, and with strict adherence to the safety measures recommended to us by Fraser Health and the BC Centre for Disease Control. For our frontline volunteers, these measures include:
- Cleaning your hands regularly with soap and water, or alcohol-based hand wipes or hand sanitizers.
- Coughing or sneezing into your elbow sleeve or tissues, disposing of any tissues in the garbage.
- Avoiding touching your face, mouth, nose and eyes.
- Staying home if you are sick, vulnerable to sickness, or have compromised health.
- Refraining from handshaking, hand-holding, high-fives and hugging with other volunteers and street friends.
- Thorough and proper cleaning of any dishes, tables and other outreach equipment with soapy water and then sanitized with a bleach solution.
- Not gathering in groups of more than 250 people, as advised by the Provincial Health Officer.
These important safety measures are also applicable to NightShift’s upcoming special fundraising events and training sessions. If you have registered for an event at NightShift, we will contact you if there are any changes or postponements.
I want you to know your well-being is a priority as we diligently seek updates and follow best practices from government and local health authorities. If you have any questions or concerns, please respond to this email, or call our office at 604-953-1114.
Wherever the next few weeks finds you, please join me and my team as we pray for health, protection and Christ’s resurrection power for all of us in the NightShift community.
MaryAnne Connor (Mac), Rev., RPC