Reaching out, touching hearts and bringing people together. We are people caring for people.
As the name implies, NightShift Street Ministries serves on the street and provides community outreach. Yet NightShift has always been about more than soup. Yes, our volunteers have been providing hot meals - including soup and stew and other warming dishes - 365 days a year for over a decade, but there's so much more to NightShift.
Find out more by attending one of our monthly Information Nights and get involved in one of our predominantly volunteer-driven programs.
NightShift outreach connects people in the community
... who wish to be part of something bigger than themselves.
- ♥ Through daily street outreach (7-8 pm every night of the year) we make connections - volunteers, street friends, one-time visitors alike. As we serve meals, hand out clean clothes, blankets and basic care packages, maybe sing along to music on the sidewalk, there's an opportunity for companionship. We strike up a conversation, perhaps share a prayer. This time of personal interaction reminds us why we're here - all reaching out together - people helping people.
- ♥ Community connections take our roaming AOK (Acts of Kindness) teams further afield - reaching people in the neighbourhood in need of a friend.
Integral to a holistic approach is counselling,
...offering a way forward with healing and wholeness.
- ♥ As we build relationships, so we are able to offer support in other areas, including basic nursing, counselling and recovery options. This encouragement our volunteer, registered counsellors and nurses provide from our Care Bus (Tuesday and Friday nights) in addition to regular services.
- ♥ Counselling underpins our care program and The Care Centre at NightShift is a safe place to seek confidential help and compassionate support. Our sliding-scale fees make counselling accessible no matter a person’s background or means.
Education empowers us to get involved
... with purpose and equips us to follow a new path.
- ♥ Drop-in Art Classes run on Tuesdays (5-6:30 pm) for anyone wishing to try his or her hand at painting, sculpting, drawing and more.
- ♥ Ministry programs, such as Street Edition Alpha or ROW are available at certain times of the year in addition to our regular Prayer Walks and Bible Study opportunities.
- ♥ Support groups, like When Love Hurts for women, or youth and parenting classes are being added all the time.
- ♥ Clothing ministry, from donation collection points through coordinating for outreach distribution and re-sale through Sisters Thrift Boutique, this initiative also provides entry-level work experience and training opportunities for people seeking reintegration in the community.
... completes our continuum of care.
- ♥ NightShift started as an emergency shelter and whenever possible continued to be part of the November-March Extreme Weather Response shelter network that provides emergency sleeping accommodation. It is our vision to provide transitional housing on the road to recovery.
NightShift relies on volunteer connectors to provide the many outreach services, counselling opportunities and education programs that we have developed for a holistic approach to alleviate poverty and homelessness and to offer hope and a renewed sense of purpose for all people. We also encourage youth groups to get involved in any way they can, including helping out in the warehouse or organizing clothes drives. If you or someone you know needs volunteer hours, talk to us!
Can't wait to get involved? Call the office at 604-953-1114 (9-5, Mon-Fri) or email NightShift at any time!